Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Greed Times Two.


   I usually hate coming up with titles for these posts but this one was a simple case of every-picture-tells-a-story. 
Spotted outside a restaurant in Foix. I think, I think that "gourmand" was mis-translated as "greedy".
But, so help me, I still can't work out what a "
muffe" is. Feel free to contribute ideas in your comments. Oh, and I should point out that "gizzards"--usually from a duck, and confited--are really tasty. (Finally, "day dessert" is probably "dessert du jour")

The tenuous link between this and the first shot is that both feature duck. These were magrets that we bought at Lavelanet market and put on the barbecue that evening. Rosy and succulent, they're better than the best steak. Rounding out the plate: new potatoes with parsley, and salad elements. Increasingly lazy, I arrange radishes, lettuce leaves, sliced green onion etc on a large platter and let everyone assemble their own.


  

6 comments:

Floss said...

Lovely! There wasn't a French version you could check against the 'translation' was there? I have to say I don't like gizzards - what a British wimp!

Unknown said...

I am similarly puzzled - and intrigued - by "muffe", but since the subject has been raised I can't resist sharing one of my favourite menu translations - the Embrun (05) restaurant which (thanks to confusion of fumé and fumier) proudly offered "Manured duck salad". I bet they wondered why it was rarely chosen by English-speaking customers !!!

Fat Dormouse said...

Your duck looks delicious! I'm almost tempted to rush out to the butcher to buy a magret before he closes today!!! But we do have a tin of confit, so maybe I'll just stick with that!
Wondering about the "muffe" I followed some lines of thought on an online dictionary. Muff (Eng) translates as "manchon" (Fr). Can't manchon be used to describe a chicken wing (I'm dredging this out of my memory here, so I might be wrong)Perhaps there are duck wings in your Greedy Salad (which sounds delightful, by the way!)

I'm enjoying your blog. Thank you!

Unknown said...

.... and the Petit Robert says manchon is either a cylindrical piece of fur for protecting the hands, .... or ... the wing of a fowl preserved in its fat. Brilliant, Fat Dormouse, and thanks for putting us out of our bewilderment.

Angela Murrills said...

I second that--and I bet you're right. Next time we go to Foix (which is where I spotted this sign) I'll just have to order it!

Angela Murrills said...

I meant to add, à propos of Athur's "manured duck salad" that my favourite was a menu in a Limoux restaurant that offered a salad with "plugs and crusts."
And of course, there's always the endearing mistranslation on menus of avocat...