Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tiles in the Garden.


     The thing about stone is that it keeps going and going. Crumbling walls can be taken apart and rebuilt into houses. Stones, as we know from experience, can be salvaged from the garden and used indoors. Even French roof tiles can have a second life (I meant to take photos but didn't of how friends have used them--very effectively--as wall lights in their bathroom). 
     Curved and narrower at one end than the other, the traditional tile is said to have been shaped over the tile-maker's thigh. All I can say is that they must have been well-built men of remarkably similar physique. 
     I found a half dozen--tiles not men--behind where the chicken house used to be (another example of recycling, it now houses a friend's half-dozen chickens). Inspired by the Spring issue of Marianne Maison Jardin, I've given the tiles another life. 
     You need three, which you simply embed in the soil, then fill with earth and plant.... 


For safety's sake, I strung wire around the top. I also lined the "pot" with a bin-bag (drainage holes punched in its base) before I planted it.
Here's the result. Those tiny shoots are fleurs en cuisine-- edible flowers. I'll keep you posted on their progress.

No comments: