Sunday, November 29, 2009

Anyone Remember Angélique?


  Around the age of 14, I was spellbound, as were my friends, by a series of novels about a young Française called Angélique. We keenly followed her love life which got off to a rousing start when she was 16 with a forced marriage to a nobleman. I can't remember if it was before, or after, he was burned at the stake (probably after, Angélique tended to serial monogamy) that she cut a swathe through the court of Louis-the-Something. She next headed for the Middle East and a life in the harem. At some point, her thought-dead-but-wasn't comte reappeared and off they sailed for the New World and on and on she went. 
  I may have got some of the details wrong but what I did remember came flooding back at this morning's vide-grenier in Lavelanet where, at one stall, someone was ditching what looked like the entire Angélique series.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that I read one of the books in the series. I think I bought it because of the impressive cover art it had in the States. I remember Angelique being well endowed and displaying most of it in some manner of great distress.

Doug

gabriele gray said...

I not only read almost all of them (she hooked back up with Joffrey (sp?) de Peyrac her first husband who did not die and move to the New World where she still had problems with the Church and who knows who else....but I noticed on French ebay that they seem to have made several movies from the books...
I know how long ago I read them because a friend who also read them had said if a film was made they should use Jane Fonda as Angelique...of course if the movie were in English...back then I didn't really know enough about French actresses to think of the best one for the role...